Who are your favourite real-life historical couples? I remember you mentioning Victoria and Albert quite a while ago, and wondered if there's any more that you love.
- I fluctuate between them all the time but both cartimandua/venutius and carti/vellocatus are the GREATEST like one is this hecked up political maneuvering mess of a marriage where she’s the queen and HE’S THE CONSORT and he objects to her style of rule and she is just completely ruthless to him and exiles him and theyre more enemies than anything BUT THEY’RE STILL MARRIEDS so great AND THEN THERE’S VELLOCATUS who was Venutius’ BEST FRIEND but also in love with his wife AND SHE LOVED HIM BACK AND THEY ACTUALLY HOOKED UP and shE MADE HIM /KING/ and even the romans were like ‘woah shit man this chick has cajones’ (actual quote from Tacitus: ‘Cartimandua’s husband was favoured by the sentiments of all the citizens; the adulterer was supported by the queen’s passion for him and by her own savage spirit’ FUCK SHIT FUCCCCKK SHEEEIIIT) so yeah i couldn’t choose lmao
- TEMUJIN AND BORTE THE OTP OH MY GOD okay so like BORTE IS ACTUALLY TOTALLY THE REASON TEMUJIN EVEN BECAME GENGHIS KHAN IN THE FIRST PLACE because like they got married at like 16 but then borte was abducted by this other tribe and temujin loved her hella much so he like banded all these previously bickering tribes together TO GO AND SAVE HER she’s the reason he started uniting the mongols in the first place!!! and she fell pregnant while in captivity and temujin CLAIMED THE SON AS HIS OWN and he had like heaps of wives and stuff BUT BORTE WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO WAS ALLOWED TO BE CALLED /QUEEN/ and when he was off leading the horde SHE RULED IN MONGOLIA!! AND SHE WAS ONE OF HIS MOST TRUSTED ADVISORS AND ONLY BORTE’S SONS WERE ALLOWED TO INHERIT THE THRONE WHEN TEMUJIN DIED IT’S A LOT THEY’RE A LOT I LOVE THEM
- BESS AND HERNY MY HEART IS SET ON A LUSTY PIN OH MY GOD believe no pgregory lies THEY LOVED EACH OTHER SO MUCH SO MUCHHH they’re pretty much the epitome of the ~reluctant marrieds gradually falling in love trope (though i like to think henry kinda had a thing from day 1 YOU KNOW HE DID) and i love how they were a true partnership who loved and supported one another and like THEY ARE THE LITERAL EMBODIMENT OF THE RED AND WHITE ROSES COMING TOGETHER THEIR MARRIAGE ENDED A WAR AND SAVED A KINGDOM THAT THEY REBUILT /TOGETHER/ BYE
- idk if we’re counting them as historical but FRANK SINATRA/AVA GARDNER THE PAIN IS FUCKING REAL man they loved each other a LOT like frank had a statue of ava IN HIS BACKYARD. AND HIS THIRD WIFE TOLD HIM TO TEAR IT DOWN BUT HE DIDN’T WANT TO AND AVA WAS LIKE ‘BABE U GOTTA TEAR IT DOWN’ SO HE DID BUT MANNN and like his BEST most fucked up heartbreaking album is about her its so fucking tragic like THEY WERE THE LOVES OF EACH OTHER’S LIVES GOD DAMMIT
- JUSTINIAN AND THEODORA byzantine babies she was just a commoner but they were TRUE EQUALS AND THEY LOVED EACH OTHER SO MUCH and ok let’s be real he loved her more i love dudes who are like stupidly into their ladies lmao and ok like THE AGIA SOPHIA IS STILL AROUND /TODAY/ and i know its not like a taj mahal~ kind of testament to their love but still THEY WERE EPIC OKAY
Theres heaps of others lmao like who doesnt love some naopleon/josephine or a lil jodhaa/akbar am i right